Patronal Festival of St Francis (transferred)
Sir 50:1, 3-4, 6-7; Gal 6:14-18; Mt 11:25-30
You have hidden these things from the clever, and have revealed them to mere children
- Introit: (Gregorian, from the Seraphic Missal) Gaudeamus omnes in Domino, diem festum celebrantes sub honoris beati Francisci de cuius solemnitate gaudent angeli, et collaudant Filium Dei Let us all rejoice in the Lord and keep the festival in honour of blessed Francis. Let us join with the angels in joyful praise of the Son of God
- Mass setting: Missa Pax et Bonum (Richard Connolly)
- Motet (Offertory): Os Justi* (Bruckner)
- Motet (after Communion): Signasti Domine** (Guerrero)
- Communio: (Romans 8.18) Non sunt condignae passiones huis temporis ad futuram gloriam, quae revelabitur in nobis The sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to the glory which shall be revealed to us (from the Seraphic Missal)
- Hymns: TIS 100 All Creatures of our God and King LASST UNS ERFEUEN; Make me a channel of your peace CHANNEL OF PEACE; TIS 127 Holy God we praise your name GROSSER GOTT
- Organ Prelude: Andante (Sonata 1) – Josef Rheinberger (1839-1901)
- Organ Offertorium: Interlude in ‘d’ minor – William Hine (1687-1730)
- Organ Voluntary: Chorale Prelude on Croft’s 136th – C.H.H. Parry (1848-1918)
Organist: Bransby Byrne
*Os justi meditabitur sapientiam: et lingua ejus loquetur judicium. Lex Dei ejus in corde ipsius: et non supplantabuntur gressus ejus. Alleluia.
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, and their tongue speaks what is just.
The law of their God is in their heart: and their feet do not falter. Alleluia.
**Signasti, Domine, servum tuum,
Franciscum, signo dulcissimo amoris
tui et redemptionis nostrae, et
seraphicum patrem passione tua
decorasti. O Francisce gloriose,
admitte preces filiorum tuorum.
Lord, you signed your servant Francis with a most sweet sign of your love and our redemption. You have decorated the seraphic father with the marks of your passion. O glorious Francis, intercede on behalf of your children’s prayers.