5th Sunday of Easter (B) Year of Mark (First Communion)
Note: during this Mass, a number of children will receive First Holy Communion. This has been reflected in the selection of music to accompany the liturgy.
Acts 9:26-31; 1 Jn 3:18-24; Jn 15:1-18
- Mass setting: Mass for Five Voices – Kyrie (W. Byrd); Mass Shalom (CD Smith)
- Motet: Panis Angelicus* (Franck)
- Communio: (Gregorian, Jn 15.5) Ego sum vitis vera et vos palmites, qui manet in me, et ego in eo, hic fert fructum multum, alleluia, alleluia. I am the true vine and you are the branches; those who abide in me and I in them, they shall bear much fruit, alleluia.
- Hymns: Here I am, Lord HERE I AM, LORD; I am the bread of life BREAD OF LIFE
- Organ Prelude: Ah! vous dirai-je, maman – Mozart(1756-1791)
- Organ Voluntary: Toccata and Fugue in ‘d’ minor – J.S. Bach(1685-1750)
Organist: Bransby Byrne
fit panis hominum;
Dat panis cœlicus
O res mirabilis!
servus et humilis.
The bread of angels
Becomes bread for humankind;
This heavenly bread gives
an end to all forms.
Oh, wonderful fact!
The Lord feeds the poor,
The slave, the lowly.