20th Sunday in Ordinary Time (C) Year of Luke
Jer 38:4-6, 8-10; Heb 12:1-4; Lk 12:49-53 I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!
- Mass setting: Mass Shalom (C.D. Smith)
- Offertory Motet: O Quanta Qualia* (Peter Abelard)
- Communio: Primum quaerite regnum Dei, et omnia adicientur vobis, dicit Dominus. Seek first the kingdom of God, and all the rest will be given to you in addition, says the Lord.
- Hymns: Lead us, heavenly Father MANNHEIM; Channel of Peace CHANNEL OF PEACE
- Organ Prelude: Salve Regina – Franz Liszt (1811-1886)
- Organ Voluntary: Ave Maria – Sigfrid Karg-Elert (1877-1933)
Organist: Bransby Byrne
Cantor: Nicole Smeulders
*O Quanta Qualia Peter Abelard (1079 – 1143)
(in Lauda Syon 1857)
Translation: John Chambers (1805 – 93)
O how fair and how great must those sweet Sabbaths be,
Which ever celebrate Heaven’s joyful company.
What rest the wearied find! What crowns the victors gain!
When o’er all things supreme, God, in all in all shall reign!
The true Jerusalem is on that happy shore
Whose peace hath no alloy, whose joys last evermore.
Where the glad spirit freed naught shall e’er want again,
Yet less than all its need ne’er shall the wish attain!
O let us raise from Earth each thought above the skies,
Seeking with eager feet rest in that Paradise.
So to Jerusalem, from long captivity,
Homeward from Babylon hasting triumphantly!