2nd Sunday of Advent (C) Year of Luke
Baruch 5:1-9; Phil 1:3-6, 8-11; Lk 3:1-6 – All people will see God’s salvation
- Mass setting: Missa simplex (Gregorian)
- Motet: This is the record of John* (Orlando Gibbons)
- Communio: (Gregorian, Bar 5.5, 4.36) Jerusalem surge, et sta in excelso, et vide jucunditatem quae veniet tibi a Deo tuo. Arise, 0 Jerusalem, and stand on high; and behold the joy that shall come to you from your God.
- Hymns: Advent Prose (Rorate Caeli); On Jordan’s bank the baptist’s cry WINCHESTER NEW
- Organ Prelude: Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland – Gottfired A. Homilius (1714-1785)
- Organ Voluntary: Dialogue sur les Grands Jeux (Ave Maris Stella) – Nicolas de Grigny (1672-1703)
Organist: Bransby Byrne
*This is the record of John,
when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him,
Who art thou?
And he confessed and denied not, and said plainly,
I am not the Christ.
And they asked him, What art thou then? Art thou Elias?
And he said, I am not.
Art thou the prophet?
And he answered, No.
Then said they unto him,
What art thou? that we may give an answer unto them that sent us.
What sayest thou of thyself?
And he said, I am the voice of him that crieth in the wilderness,
Make straight the way of the Lord.