4th Sunday of Advent – (A) Year of Matthew
Is 7:10-14; Rm 1:1-7, Mt 1:18-24 The virgin will conceive and bear a son, and his name will be called Emmanuel
- Mass setting: Missa simplex
- Motet: Magnificat (T. Morley)
- Communio: Ecce virgo concipiet et pariet filium et vocabitur nomen eius Emmanuel. Behold, a Virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel.
- Hymns: Advent prose (Rorate caeli); TIS 272 Come, thou long-expected Jesus STUTTGART
- Organ Prelude: Advent Suite – Introit ‘Veni Emmanuel’ – Pietro Yon (1886-1943)
- Organ Voluntary: Noël 10 in ‘G’ – Louis-Claude d’Aquin (1694-1772)
Organist: Bransby Byrne
*My soul doth magnify the Lord,
And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour,
For He hath regarded the lowliness of his handmaiden:
For behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
For He that is mighty hath magnified me, and holy is His name.
And His mercy on them that fear Him throughout all generations.
He hath shewed strength with His arm: He hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble and meek.
He hath filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He, remembering his mercy, hath holpen His servant Israel.
As He promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed forever.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost,
As it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be, world without end.