Midnight Mass of the Nativity
Is 9:1-7; Titus 2:11-14; Lk 2:1-14 To you is born this day… a saviour, who is the Messiah, the Lord
- Carol singing at 11.30pm (Dec 24) followed by the Proclamation of Christmas from the Roman Martyrology
- including: Once in royal David’s city; O radiant dawn (MacMillan); Ding dong merrily on high; Quelle est cette odeur agréeable; The first Nowell; Hark the herald angels sing
- Introit: (Gregorian) Dominus díxit ad me: Fílius méus es tu, égo hódie génui te. Quare fremuérunt géntes: et pópuli meditáti sunt inánia? The Lord has said to me: You are My Son, this day have I begotten You. Why have the nations raged, and the people devised vain things?
- Mass setting: Missa O Magnum Mysterium (Victoria)
- Motet: O Magnum Mysterium (Lauridsen)
- Hymns and Carols during Mass: Of the Father’s Heart Begotten; Silent Night; O Come all Ye Faithful
- Communio: (Ps 110) In splendoribus sanctorum, ex utero ante luciferum genui te In the brightness of the saints, from the womb before the dawn I begot you.
- Organ Offertorium: All my heart this night rejoices – Johann Walther (1684-1748)
- Organ Voluntary: Cantique de Noël (O Holy Night) – Adolphe Adam (1803-1856)
Organist: Bransby Byrne