Mass of Easter Day
Acts 10.34,37-43; Col 3.1-4; Jn 20.1-9
- Mass setting: Missa Brevis in F KV192 (Mozart)
- Psalm: This is the day (Willcock)
- Gospel Acclamation: triple plainsong
- (during lustration) Vidi aquam (Ross) I saw water flowing forth from the temple on the right side, alleluia.
- (during the dedication) I was glad*(Parry)
- (during communion) Greater Love** (John Ireland)
- Hymns: TIS 360 Light’s reddening dawn gleams through the sky LASST UNS ERFREUEN; TIS 520 Lord enthroned in heavenly Splendour tune TIS 611 BRYN CALFARIA; TIS 386 By your kingly power, O risen Lord RUGGIERO
- Solemn dismissal with double Alleluia
- Organ Prelude: Easter Prelude – Dieterich Buxtehude (1637-1707)
- Organ Offertorium: Jesus Christ, our Saviour – Marcel Dupré (1886-1971)
- Organ Voluntary: Marche Triomphale – Theodore Dubois (1837-1924)
Organist: Bransby Byrne
*I was glad when they said unto me: We will go into the house of the Lord. Our feet shall stand in thy gates, O Jerusalem. Jerusalem is built as a city that is at unity in itself. O pray for the peace of Jerusalem, they shall prosper that love thee. Peace be within thy walls and plenteousness within thy palaces.
**Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it. Love is strong as death.
Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree,
That we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness.
Ye are washed, ye are sanctified,
ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation;
That ye should show forth the praises of him
who hath call’d you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
I beseech you brethren, by the mercies of God,
that you present your bodies, a living sacrifice, holy,
acceptable unto to God, which is your service.