Midnight Mass of the Nativity
Carols: before the Mass, 11.30 pm 24 December
- Mass setting: Missa “La Stella” (D. Scarlatti)
- Introit: (Gregorian) Dominus dixit ad me, Filius meus es tu, ego hodie genui te The Lord said to me, You are my Son, this day I have begotten you
- Motet: Videte miraculum (Thomas Tallis)
- Communio: (Gregorian, Ps 109) In splendoribus sanctorum, ex utero ante luciferum genui te. Amidst the splendours of the heavenly sanctuary, from the womb, before the morning star, I have begotten you
- Hymns: O come all ye Faithful; Silent Night; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- Organ Offertorium: All my heart this night rejoices – Johann Walther (1684-1748)
- Organ Voluntary: Cantique de Noël (‘O Holy Night’) – Adolphe Adam (1803-1856)
Organist: Bransby Byrne
Text of the Motet: Videte miraculum matris Domini: concepit virgo virilis ignara consortii, stans onerata nobili onere Maria; et matrem se laetam cognoscit, quae se nescit uxorem. Haec speciosum forma prae filiis hominum castis concepit visceribus, et benedicta in aeternum Deum nobis protulit et hominem. Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto.
Behold the miracle of the mother of the Lord: a virgin has conceived though she knows not a man, Mary, who stands laden with her noble burden; knowing not that she is a wife, she rejoices to be a mother. She has conceived in her chaste womb one who is beautiful beyond the sons of men, and blessed for ever, she has brought forth God and man for us. Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost.